Updated April 27, 2023
Welcome to the Discovery Oasis website and related sites and digital and online services (“Discovery Oasis Site”, the “Site”, or “Sites”), an online information service provided by Mayo Clinic and all affiliates (“Discovery Oasis” or “We” or “Us”).
What Information We Collect
Information you give us: We respect the right to privacy of all visitors to the Discovery Oasis Sites. We receive and store some information that you enter on our Sites or that you provide to us through the Sites in any other way.
The information we collect or that you provide on or through our Sites or by using our services includes:
- Data that may personally identify you, including your name, e-mail address, home, work and mobile telephone numbers, and your job title (collectively, “Personal Data”);
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Sites, such as Contact Us forms; and
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
Information we collect automatically: We do not collect information about you automatically as you navigate through or use our Sites. We only collect information on or through our Sites when you send us information by completing our forms or contacting us through email. Some web browsers permit you to broadcast a signal to websites and online services indicating a preference that they “do not track” your online activities. At this time, we do not honor such signals. However, we do not track your online activities on or across third party websites or other online services for any purpose, including advertising.
Email Communications and Related Services
Our Sites provide you with the opportunity to receive communications from us or third parties. For example, you can sign up to receive free Discovery Oasis emails. You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time by using the unsubscribe mechanism or link in our emails if you wish to stop receiving emails from us.
Email communications that you send to us via the email links on our Site may be shared with a customer service representative, employee, or agent that is most able to address your inquiry. We make every effort to respond in a timely fashion once communications are received. Once we have responded to your communication, it is discarded or archived, depending on the nature of the inquiry. Note, that email communications that you send us via the email links on our Site are not automatically encrypted, and it is possible that unencrypted email communications with us may be accessed or viewed by another internet user while in transit to us.
How We Use the Information We Collect
In addition to the uses described above, we use the information we collect for things like:
- Optimizing the performance and user experience of our Sites;
- Operating, evaluating, and improving our business;
- Marketing and advertising products and services; and
- Sending you emails about Discovery Oasis.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. You may request that we delete your data by contacting us as provided below. However, we may not be able to honor that request in all instances given the laws and regulations that apply to us. For example, under state and federal law, we may be required to maintain some data that is specific to you and that may identify you. We may also have a legal basis or obligation to information about you to comply with our professional, legal, and other obligations.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may share the information we collect about you with third parties who we have engaged to help us provide the Site, including Fervor Creative. Your Personal Data may be disclosed to affiliates, contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business. The services provided by these organizations include providing IT and infrastructure support services. In each case, we will ensure that these third parties have agreed to safeguard your data.
We may also disclose your Personal Data:
- to a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Data held by Mayo Clinic about our Sites users are among the assets transferred;
- to fulfill the purpose for which you provide it;
- for any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information;
- with your consent;
- to comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request;
- to other third parties involved in Discovery Oasis projects, including investors and developers, for marketing purposes related to Discovery Oasis, unless you have opted out of such communications through your email unsubscribe mechanism or link;
- if we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Discovery Oasis, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
In addition, we strive to provide you with choices regarding the Personal Data you provide to us. We have created or you have available mechanisms to provide you with control over your Personal Data:
- Promotional Offers from Discovery Oasis. If you do not wish to have your email address used by us to promote our own products and services, you can opt-out at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any email or other marketing communications you receive from us. This opt-out does not apply to information provided to Discovery Oasis as a result of your use of our services.
- Disclosure of Your Information to Third Parties. By submitting a form to receive email updates, you consent to our sharing of your Personal Data with third parties for their promotional purposes related to Discovery Oasis. If you wish to unsubscribe from such third-party promotions, you can do so by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any email or other marketing communications you receive from them.
Your Rights Regarding Your Information and Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You can contact us through the Contact Information below to access and/or find out what information we have about you and to correct that information. You may also notify us through the Contact Information below of any changes or errors in any Personal Data we have about you to ensure that it is complete, accurate, and as current as possible or to delete your account. We may not be able to accommodate your request if we believe it would violate any law or legal requirement or if we have a legal basis or obligation to maintain it, or if it would cause the information to be incorrect.
Whether you are visiting the Discovery Oasis Site or one of our clinic locations, we use reasonable security measures to protect the confidentiality of personal information under our control, and we appropriately limit access to it. We use a variety of information security measures to protect your online transactions with us. The Discovery Oasis Site uses encryption technology, such as Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), to protect your personal information during data transport. SSL protects information you submit via our website, such as your name and email address. That being said, Discovery Oasis cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. We have taken reasonable steps to ensure the integrity and confidentiality of personally identifiable information that you may provide. You should understand, however, that electronic transmissions via the internet are not necessarily secure from interception, and so we cannot absolutely guarantee the security or confidentiality of such transmissions.
Users in the European Economic Area (EEA), the United Kingdom, and Switzerland
If you are a resident of the EEA, the United Kingdom, or Switzerland, the following information applies with respect to personal data collected through your use of our Site.
Purposes of processing and legal basis for processing: As explained above, we process personal data in various ways depending upon your use of the services. We process personal data on the following legal bases: (1) with your consent; (2) as necessary to provide the services; (3) to comply with our legal obligations; and (4) as necessary for our legitimate interests in providing the services where those interests do not override your fundamental rights and freedoms related to data privacy.
Transfers: Personal data we collect may be transferred to, and stored and processed in, the United States or any other country in which we or our affiliates or processors maintain facilities. We will ensure that transfers of personal data to a country or an international organization outside the EEA, the United Kingdom, or Switzerland are subject to appropriate safeguards.
Your rights: You are entitled to the rights under Chapter III of the EU General Data Protection Regulation, the United Kingdom General Data Protection Regulations and Data Protection Act 2018, or Section 2 of the Swiss Federal Act on Data Protection with respect to the processing of your personal data, which include the right to access and rectify and to request erasure of personal data. In order to verify your identity, we may require you to provide us with personal information prior to accessing any records containing information about you. To exercise these rights, please contact Mayo’s Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complaints or concerns: You are welcome to raise any complaints or concerns to Discovery Oasis by contacting Mayo’s Data Protection Officer at email@example.com. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
Protecting Children’s Privacy
Our Sites are not intended for users under 18 years of age. No one under age 18 may provide any information to or through the Sites. We do not knowingly collect Personal Data from users under 18. If you are under 18, do not use or provide any information on or in our Sites or on or through any of their features, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or username you may use. If we learn we have collected or received Personal Data from a user under 18 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from a user under 18, please contact us at the contact information below.
Links to Other Websites
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit exempted from the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 (California’s “Shine the Light” law) permits users of our Sites that are California residents and who provide Personal Data in obtaining products and services for personal, family, or household use to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Data to third parties for their own direct marketing purposes. If applicable, this information would include the categories of Personal Data and the names and addresses of those businesses with which we shared your Personal Data with for the immediately prior calendar year. You may request this information once per calendar year. To make such a request, please contact us using the information below.
If you have a question or concern regarding your privacy, please contact Discovery Oasis’s Privacy Officer using the contact information below:
Discovery Oasis Privacy Officer
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55905